Tips for maintaining pools all year round
To enjoy our dips it is necessary to maintain our pool. Here we will give you a pool care guide. If you decide to do it yourself, you have to take into account some factors to fine-tune the water in your pool and keep it clean:
How to calculate the volume of water in a swimming pool?
It is important to know the volume of water to select the treatment of chemical products for the maintenance of swimming pools. We show you how to calculate the liters of water in a pool according to the form:
- Rectangular: Length x Width x Average Depth
- Round: Diameter x Diameter x Average Depth x Coefficient (0.785)
- Oval: Length x Width x Average Depth x Coefficient (0.89)
Total liters of water in a swimming pool = (Calculated volume) m³ x 1000 l / m³
How does the filter system of a swimming pool work?
To keep the water in the pool clean, it is important to know the elements of the filtration system:
- Skimmers: collects the water from the surface and carries it to the filter system
- Sump: collects water from the bottom and enables the pool to be emptied
- Suction nozzle: passes the sucked water to the filtering system
- Drive nozzles: returns clean water to the pool
- Pump: drives the water to the pool’s filtration system and its size must be in relation to the pool’s volume
- Valve: selects the different filter working positions
- Prefilter: retains debris
- Filter: captures dirt particles and their size depends on the pump
- Electrical panel: automate the water filtering system
- Piping system: connect the circuit elements
How to keep the water circulating in the pool?
Verify that the equipment works correctly
Turn on the pump and filter at least 4 hours a day
Clean the filter twice every season
Clean collection baskets and lint strainers
What is the kit to maintain the pool?
For the correct cleaning of pools we need accessories and products for pool maintenance:
- Brushes: to clean walls and bottom
- Leaf picker
- Pool cleaners: they can be manual, hydraulic or electric
- Telescopic pole: to reach every corner
At the end of the day, we recommend connecting the treatment plant for about 6 hours a day. For a complete pool cleaning, it is key to clean the bottom once a week.
What are the sanitizers for the maintenance of the pool?
- Chlorine: in tablets placed in a float or liquid
- Active oxygen: destroys organic matter
How to Make your Pool Ready?
The first step is a review, especially if there was no maintenance on the pool in the previous winter. The recommendations are:
- Check the structure and the vessel: check for cracks
- Clean the walls of the pool: remove incrustations with a descaler, carry out this pool cleaning when there is not too much sun, use a brush for the walls and the bottom, leave for a few minutes and rinse with water
- Washing the pool filter system
- Fill the pool with water: check that the valve is closed and if you use chlorine, start treating the water when it is half full.
- Regulate the PH value: the optimal value is between 7.2 and 7.6, use a meter to check it. If it is below, put a PH booster over the water, and if it is above the value, a reducer
- Apply a treatment to maintain the pool water: if you choose to maintain the pool water with chlorine, remember that the ideal level is between 1 mg / l and 1.5 mg / l and one tablet every 25 m³. If you select the option with salt, apply rapid dissolving chlorine between 3 kg and 5 kg of salt every m³. Put the saline chlorinator and the filtration equipment to work, and regulate the PH until you reach the desired one.
To keep the water in the pool transparent you can use an algaecide and a flocculant. Dissolve them in water and place them around the sink.
How often should pool maintenance be performed?
- PH: Once a week
- Residual chlorine: every day, ideal value: 0.5 to 2 ppm
- Total alkalinity: once a week, ideal value: 60 to 120 ppm
- Calcium hardness: once a week, ideal value: 200 to 500 ppm
How to keep the water in the fiberglass or cement pool clean?
- Drain the pool using a pump down the drain pipes or as far from the pool as possible.
- Attention: If the pool is relatively new, do not empty it completely to avoid cracks generated by the pressure of the soil on the pool
- If it is completely emptied, proceed to clean the bottom and walls of the pool, use water and bleach or detergent with a soft brush directed
- towards the bottom. If you did not empty completely, pass a sweep
- Rinse with a pressure washer to remove scale
- Renew the water gradually with the same tips that we gave you in How to tune up your pool in summer? Maintaining Pools.
How to Maintaining Pools in winter?
The most practical thing is to put a cover on it.
If the pool does not have a cover, you must collect leaves and debris with the leaf catcher and place a float to prevent the water from freezing. When the water temperature is below 15ºC, we can start the wintering process.
Maintaining Pools 2021- The steps are:
- Clean the pool
- Wash and rinse the filter
- Adjust the pH of the water
- Carry out shock chlorination (double the amount of usual liquid chlorine is used)
- Put the filter to work
- Place the winterizing product and keep the filter working: it is placed twice, the first time at the beginning of wintering and the second in the
- middle of the season.
- Re-measure PH
- Turn off automatic treatment devices